Electricity is a powerful and useful tool, but one that should be used carefully. Follow these tips when interacting with electricity:
- Never use electrical appliances near sinks or bathtubs.
- Do not touch an electrical outlet when your hands are wet.
- Do not plug too many cords into an outlet or extension cord.
- Keep electric space heaters away from flammable materials.
- Never climb a tree nearby a power line.
- Keep ladders and antennas away from power lines.
- Do not fly kites near power lines.
- If a person has been electrocuted, do NOT touch the person. Disconnect the power source and call 911.
- Never touch anything that is in contact with a downed power line.
- Use a fire extinguisher or baking soda to put out small electrical fires. Never use water.
Remember, electricity travels easily through water, metal, trees, moist soil and people!